not updating unwritable cache ../config.cache

John Wiersba John.Wiersba@medstat.com
Fri Mar 24 15:15:00 GMT 2000

> John Wiersba wrote:
> >
> > 2) The id and ls commands work strangely for me:
> >    > id
> >       uid=500(administrator) gid=100(everyone) groups=100(everyone)
> >    > rm -f FILE; touch FILE; ls -l FILE
> >       -rw-r--r--   1 jrw      JRW             0 Mar 24 15:55 FILE
> >    > cd /c
> >    > rm -f FILE; touch FILE; ls -l FILE
> >       -rw-r--r--   1 winnt    Everyone        0 Mar 24 15:57 FILE
> >    > cat /etc/passwd
> >       WinNT::0:513:::
> >       Administrator::500:513:::
> >       Guest::501:513:::
> >       jrw::544:544:::/bin/ksh
> >    > cat /etc/group
> >       Everyone::0:
> >       JRW::513:
> > I've lived with this "feature" for a long time, but maybe
> > it's related to
> > this problem?
> >
> From: John Fortin [ mailto:fortinj@attglobal.net ]
>
> Could this be the old "I'm part of the Administrator group"
> so the Administrator
> User owns all files, not me syndrome?
>
> Create a new user id which does not have Adminstrator
> Priveledges and try
> building again.

OK, how do I tell which group I'm part of?  The groups command says
"everyone".  I didn't set up my machine (our computer services group did).
I don't think I can set up a new user id.

But notice that files created by me on c: (a FAT drive) are owned by
winnt/everyone whereas files created by me on d; (an NTFS drive) are owned
by jrw/JRW.

-- John