No such file or directory

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sun Mar 26 09:13:00 GMT 2000

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 08:13:08PM -0800, Rick Rankin wrote:
>I don't know.  I think you'd want to consider it very carefully.  I'd
>be pretty annoyed if I typed 'cat foo', thinking foo contained a few
>lines of text, and cat instead opened foo.exe because I was in the
>wrong directory or something like that.
>
>It seems like most of the problems you refered to are related to make
>and/or install.  Wouldn't it be better to "fix" these programs than to
>build something like this into the core?

The problem is already "fixed" in install but that doesn't "fix" the
problem for packages that don't use "install".

So, the only other alternative is to modify, cp and mv.  I guess we
could also change every open in make but I don't think that's the
right solution.

Other POSIX-over-Windows packages seem to default to finding a ".exe".
I don't think this would be too burdensome, myself.

cgf