wildcard expansion once more

David Robinow drobinow@yahoo.com
Tue May 9 10:43:00 GMT 2000

--- Andre Berton <andre.berton@gmx.de> wrote:
> While processing large amounts of data, cygwin runs
> into trouble with
> wildcard expansion (it happens only while processing
> thousands of files). For example:
>        ls */*.txt
> comes up with
> bash: //c/cygtools/....bin/ls: Invalid argument

 This is a bug. It should say "Arg list too long." or
something similar.
> It seems there is a memory limitation (for ls). Do
> you know any work-around?
 Yes, but nothing as convenient as ls */*.txt
> (I'm using the latest binary release of cygwin and
> haven't found
> an appropriate answer to my question in the
> archive.)
 This is not a cygwin problem.  Unix expands wildcards
in the shell and most tools don't handle wildcards.
(unzip is one exception).
  What you see is normal behaviour for a unix system.