bash never ends consuming 99% of CPU

jorg.schaible@db.com jorg.schaible@db.com
Wed May 10 02:48:00 GMT 2000

Hi folks,

unfortunately I had yesterday this weird error that calling the function below (defined in my .bashrc) left a dangling bash process in memory consuming 99% of my CPU time (in fact, gvim was never called either). After some experiments I found the "error" that caused this weird behaviour: My .bashrc had CRLF format. After changing format to normal UNIX-style line endings, the problem vanished.

Unfortunately everyone upgrading from B20.1 to V1.1 may have this "experience", since the old Cygwin version mounted the root as text while the new will mount it binary. This problem should be mensioned explicitly somewhere in the README.TXT avoiding unnecessary trouble after the upgrade.

Greetings,
Jörg

function e
{
    local arg
    for arg in "$@"; do
        /usr/local/bin/gvim (cygpath -w "$arg") &
    done
}