inetutils-1.3.2-2 on Cygwin 1.1.1

Tom Weichmann tomcw@localnet.com
Mon May 22 01:37:00 GMT 2000

> 2) telnet - works fine, except that it does not see CYGWIN,
> and  it does not source .basrch, so that part of the PATH is
not set correctly.

This seems correct, when bash is called as a login shell it
processes a file called ~.profile and not ~.bashrc

> 3) ftp - does not work. After the prompt for the username, it
> fails  with a "User xxxx access denied", even before the prompt
> for the  password appears.

I have noticed this behavior as well.  I have noted that if you
change all of the user account shells in the /etc/passwd file to
/bin/sh instead of /bin/bash, then the ftpd works correctly.  I
don't know why, but this is sort of a workaround.

> Note that I had disabled the Windows telnetd and ftpd
equivalent >
> services, in order to make sure that the appropriate services
are >
> used. I am using a FAT32 file system.

If you are using a FAT32 system you are probably better off
using the windows telnetd, and ftpd.  I also use a FAT32 file
system(win98), and I have been working on a new login script,
and passwd utility in PERL for these daemons.  Yes these
daemons work, but the only thing that they are good for is to
give *yourself* remote access to your computer.  Because
cygwin relies on the NTFS security model, a FAT32 system just
can not create separate user accounts. Here is a good example
of what I mean.  I have two entries in my /etc/passwd file, one is
"root", and the other is "tom".  I have also created users in
windows 98 with the same names.  When I start cygwin,
cygwin looks at my /etc/passwd file for the username which I am
currently logged into windows as. So in that sense, I can create
two different users, with two different .bashrc's and so on.  The
problem is that no matter which user I am logged in as, that user
is the owner of *EVERY* file on the machine.  This gets even
better.  I can run inetd as root, then connect with a telnet
program.  Even if I log in as username TOM with the correct
passwd, I get logged in as root.  This is because as far as
cygwin is concerned there is only one user.  There is nothing
wrong with cygwin, it is all because of the FAT32 system you
are using.  You might want to consider switching your win2k to
NTFS (I think you can do that right?!?)

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Tom Weichmann