CygUtils Version of zip (and Symlinks)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Thu May 25 09:02:00 GMT 2000

"Parker, Ron" wrote:

> > > When you get right down to it, cygwin is NOT windows. It
> > does everything
> > > it can to make windows look like Unix, so that apps can run
> > *as if they
> > > were on unix* with little or no changes. So, by that logic,
> > > cygwin-zip/unzip =should= be built as unix-ish apps, not windows-ish
> > > ones.
> >
> > Maybe you are right.
> > I personally look at gcc as a free alternative for a good
> > Win32 compiler,
> > but I agree that cygwin is a "Unix on Win" and maybe most of
> > the people
> > look at it that way.
>
> ISTM that the right behavior would be for cygwin to build a UNIX-ish (un)zip
> and for mingw to build a Windows style program.  As already pointed out
> cygwin should be thought of as "Unix on Win" and IMO mingw should be thought
> of as "as a free alternative for a good Win32 compiler".

Just to respond to a small part of this post:

mingw == 'free alternative for a good Win32 compiler'
cygwin-gcc -mno-cygwin == 'another free alternative for a good Win32
compiler'
cygwin-gcc -mno-cygwin != mingw

I'm not sure how this affects your argument below, but the difference
between cygwin-gcc -mno-cygwin and mingw does need to be considered.

--Chuck