less problem

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Sat May 27 09:02:00 GMT 2000

Shiv,

Shiv Kumar wrote:
> Whenever I use less it complains that the terminal is not fully functional.
>
>      [/home:$] set | less
>      WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>      -  (press RETURN)
>      [/home:$] echo $TERM
>      win32
>      [/home:$]
>
> Any clues why?

The less that is included in Cygwin only supports termcap and does
not support terminfo.  Hence, your TERM must be set to only one of
entries in /etc/termcap.  If you are using cmd or bash, then just set
your TERM variable to cygwin or linux.  This will solve the above
problem.

If you are (or want) to use rxvt, then download less from

    ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/B20/less-332-cygwin-b20-bin.tar.gz

which supports terminfo.  You will also have to download ncurses from

    http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/ncurses-5.0/ncurses-5.0-cygwin-pre21.tar.bz2

Note that the Cygwin texinfo also only supports termcap, you can get a
terminfo version from

    http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/texinfo-3.12/texinfo-3.12-cygwin1.1.tar.bz2

<Whine>
I really wished that Cygwin already included terminfo versions of less,
texinfo, etc., and ncurses (ie, terminfo) too.
</Whine>

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235