File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Sat May 27 09:32:00 GMT 2000

At 05:22 PM 5/26/00, Parker, Ron wrote:
> > Right.  The significance is for UNC paths which can be easily
> > access currently
> > using "//<server name>/<share name>" in Cygwin now...
>
>Understood.  My intention was that server:share would be converted to
>\\server\share before it reached the Windows file API's used inside of
>cygwin.
>
>The entire idea was that many UNIX programs parse the colon paths as network
>paths already and this would bring cygwin a little more inline with the UNIX
>world.

clear.

I guess as long as the NFS style syntax was supported by Cygwin and was
supported in all places that the current UNC paths are supported in Windows
(i.e. *everywhere*), there shouldn't be any loss of functionality with this
change...

Larry