Starting Programms in the background

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Thu Nov 2 01:30:00 GMT 2000

klaus.berndl@sdm.de wrote:

> If i start a program in the background from bash (e.g. "winword.exe <document> &") then
> all is working fine. But if i try to exit from the bash-shell from which i have started the program
> before i have finished the program then bash writes "logout" but doesn´t terminate until i terminate
> all previous started programs.
>
> How can this be avoided, means how to exit bash regardless of any still running background programs?

Never, I fear. It sounds as if you are running some 9X system. It's
a problem of all 9X console windows that you can't close the window
unless all child processes are killed. If you want to run daemons
invisible you'll have to start them by using a shortcut with the
minimized state set.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.