[PORTS] Re: ps and psql from PostgreSQL not working with cygwin-1.1.5-2

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Wed Nov 8 13:55:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:48:35AM +0000, Pete Forman wrote:
> Jason Tishler writes:
>  > Sorry for not letting this thread die...

I will let it die now...

>  > On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 01:19:50AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  > > That's the problem. I thought about changing the behaviour of
>  > > connect two weeks ago. I'm not sure if it makes sense to change
>  > > the error code translation table for exactly that reason: Who
>  > > knows what that would break? Perhaps it's better to change only
>  > > the connect call to return EINPROGRESS. On the other hand Winsock
>  > > seem to have interchanged the meaning of WOULDBLOCK and
>  > > INPROGRESS (by mistake?). Hmmm.
>  >
>  > Can some one very knowledgeable with socket programming (hopefully
>  > on many platforms) please help us out?  Should socket clients
>  > (e.g., psql) be expected to test errno for EWOULDBLOCK (a.k.a
>  > EAGAIN) when connect() returns -1?  Or, should cygwin map
>  > EWOULDBLOCK to EINPROGRESS, at least for connect()?
>
> According to POSIX, connect() should never set errno to EAGAIN or
> EWOULDBLOCK.  (Those codes are appropriate for accept().)
>
>   If the connection cannot be established immediately and O_NONBLOCK
>   is set for the file descriptor for the socket, connect( ) shall fail
>   and set errno to [EINPROGRESS], but the connection request shall not
>   be aborted, and the connection shall be established asynchronously.

I'm very happy to report that Cygwin 1.1.5 has changed to implement the
above.

Thanks to all involved for their help.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235