TCSH 6.08.00 *.exe problem

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Mon Nov 13 03:01:00 GMT 2000

Anatol Studler wrote:

> Corinna
>
> I'm using the TCSH 6.08.00 in my cygwin environment, and I have following
> problem with it, which works with BASH:
>
> ----------------------------
> [CYGSERV] ~ > tcsh
> [CYGSERV] ~ > CL.EXE
> CL.EXE: Command not found.
> [CYGSERV] ~ > bash
> bash-2.04$ CL.EXE
> Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for 80x86
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.
>
> usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]
> bash-2.04$
> ----------------------------

I didn't look into the sources of tcsh for months. I simply tried it
and you're right. However, typing `cl' works. The reason is that
if running under Cygwin the shell creates it's hash table so that
executables which end in .exe or .com are shortend by that extension
and executables ending in .EXE or .COM are shortened _and_ changed
into lower case before being inserted into the hash table. The source
code is in sh.exec.c, line 748ff. Feel free to change it to your
needs.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.