sed and find (and introduction)

Armin Theissen Armin.Theissen@ireland.sun.com
Fri Nov 17 07:31:00 GMT 2000


Hi, 

no, I won't stick to cygwin-b20 'cause I want to live in the present, not 
the past ;-)

find attached the output of cygwin -s -r -v and installed.db. 
I installed cygwin via the link on cygwin.com. I first downloaded the 
source (running setup.exe), and then (again running setup.exe) installed 
it from disk. 

I had to skip three modules in order to not hang up my system, though: 

gdb
mingw
tcltk

I don't have an 'ash' installed. Maybe due to one of those three modules? 
The versions of bash/sed/find I have are 

bash: 2.04.0(8)
sed:  3.02
find: 4.1

 
> What shell are you using?  The command

4NT...

>   sed "/s/foo/bar/"
> works for me in bash.  However, the command
>   sed "/s/foo/bar"
> gives the unterminated 's' command you speak of.

I don't use the first / (so "s/foo/bar/" instead of "/s/foo/bar/")
I guess linux wouldn't understand this one. 


> > Another cause for headaches is 'find' which just won't find anything but 
> > complains about unfound files/directories - as it seems in the path 
> > where to find. I assume there is a problem with slashes and backslashes. 
> > Again, the find of cygwin b20 worked. 
> > 
> 
> This sounds like an environment problem.  The output of `cygcheck -s -r -v'
> pasted in a mail to the list and not to me would be useful.  Also attach the
> /etc/setup/installed.db file.
> 
> > Is there any chance to get these working without copying over the old 
> > versions? Or is this eventually a known bug for which there is somewhere 
> > here a solution? 
> > 
> 
> I'm guessing the `bug' in this case is your environment.  You did use the
> "Install now" link at http://cygwin.com to update your Cygwin didn't you?
> 

> Cheers,
> 
> =====
> Earnie Boyd




maybe I should also introduce myself at this occasion: I'm building 
OpenOffice (the open-sourced StarOffice) at SUN mic in Dublin. I do 
this since September (and actually worked in astrophysics before that, 
never touching Windows but working on Unix (and similar) platforms). 

We want to use cygwin for the Windows build - and eventually get rid of 
the 4NT shell. However, we're still building on cygwin-b20 which shouldn't 
be like that. 

As an astronomer, I like your Cygnus logo. How many of you recognize 
the constallation Cygnus in the sky???


cheers

armin



-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Armin.Theissen@ireland.sun.com                    phone +353 1 819 9080
SUN Microsystems Ireland                             (SUN intern 19080)
East Point Business Park, Boole House         Dublin 3, Rep. of Ireland 


More information about the Cygwin mailing list