Compatibility problem: Cygwin make and makefile filename case

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 11:06:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:40:23PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc) wrote:
>At 09:02 AM 11/21/00, Frank Ellert wrote:
>>Hi!
>>
>>There is a compatibility problem with Cygwin-make and the makefile
>>filename case.  Cygwin-make doesn't accept "MAKEFILE" (but "makefile",
>>"Makefile" or "GNUmakefile") which is treated the same as "makefile"
>>by (at least some) other LFN-aware tools, i.e. Info-ZIP's unzip and
>>DJGPP ls.
>>
>>So if you call a makefile "makefile" and put it into a ZIP archive,
>>there is the possibility that it is unpacked as "MAKEFILE" and
>>displayed as "makefile" but Cygwin make doesn't find it.
>>
>>It was great if you could fix that problem by making Cygwin make also
>>look for "MAKEFILE".
>>
>>I'm sorry, I don't read the mailing list.  So please reply to me
>>directly.
>>
>>And please excuse possible mistakes.  English is not my mother
>>language.
>
>The best response I can give you is that you'll need to provide a specific
>example along with the output of cygcheck -s -r -v.  Its hard to say whether
>this is a real problem or a configuration issue without these details.

The cygwin make release has not been modified to search for additional
makefile patterns under Windows.  It looks like make will scan the
current directory looking for specific matches on things like
GNUmakefile, makefile, and Makefile, so MAKEFILE is not matched.

In general, all cygwin tools reflect their UNIX heritiage, so it is safest
to use the same case for filenames under cygwin as under UNIX.

cgf