newbie: Out of order execution in script

schwarza@gdls.com schwarza@gdls.com
Tue Nov 21 17:09:00 GMT 2000

I'm using the latest 'stable' version of cygwin (1.1.5) on a Win95 platform
It looks like a script was executed after the statement following the
script started - out of order execution. Is this possible?

In a script I execute:

importScript=<path>/import.sh
importMain=<filename>
tmp=/tmp/$$.gnatmake
gnatI=${tmp}/gnatI
outImp=${tmp}/<filename>

${importScript} ${importMain} ${tmp}

sed -e '/(/d'                             \
    -e 's@/kostabi@@'                     \
    -e 's@^@\ -aI/kostabi@'               \
    -e 's@/@\\@g'           ${outImp}.imp > ${gnatI}

The messages below are:

[1] sed: can't read /tmp/398883.gnatmake/device_control_main.imp: No such
file or directory

[2] Main file:  device_control_main

which come in the exact order shown.

The issue is that message [2] is output by the ${importScript} line, and
message [1] indicates that the script has not executed.

In looking at ${tmp} I do see a successful generation of the output file
(${outImp}.imp) indicating that the statement before the 'sed' was run
successfully. I'm guessing that the 'sed' was executed before the script
was started, and failed because the output file was not generated. This
script ran successfully under cywin-b20.1 and I don't see what I'm doing
wrong.

Any idea what I did?

art