Environmental Variables

Bret Jordan jordan@coe.utah.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:09:00 GMT 2000

Thanks for your concern Chris.  However, all I need is just a bare bones
sshd and vi or emacs installation.  That is all.  If I ever decided to use
more of the tools, then I would install the whole package the way it is
setup and designed for.

FYI:
Because of all your help and patience with me I have now successfully
installed SSHD and VI and got them both to work with the cmd.exe instead of
bash.exe.  Now for those users in my organization that have no clue as to
what a bash shell is, I don't have to run around in circles trying to
explain how to use it.  They can just use their familiar NT command shell
and do what ever they need.  I will be writing up a short documentation
about how I got it to work and I will post that when I am done.  NOTE: this
is a very NON-STANDARD install, as Chris mentioned below.

Thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

Bret

At 03:45 PM 10/5/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 01:05:08PM -0600, Bret Jordan wrote:
> >Thanks..  Yes I used WinZip and it worked just fine.
>
>It didn't really work fine.  You have now extracted things to incorrect
>locations and have essentially have a non-standard cygwin installation.
>
>That's ok, if you know what you're doing but I certainly would not
>recommend this to someone just trying to use Cygwin for the first time.
>If you have to report problems here we'll all be spending time trying
>to figure out your "custom" installation.
>
>We created the setup.exe program for just this purpose.
>
>cgf
>
> >I just did not realize it was unpacking everything to \usr and ex.exe
> >to \bin.  My bad.  Sorry.
>
>--

Bret Jordan                       Dean's Office
LAN Manager              College of Engineering
801.585.3765                 University of Utah
              jordan@coe.utah.edu