changes in recent snapshots -- need testing before release

David Starks-Browning starksb@ebi.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 17:03:00 GMT 2000

On Monday 9 Oct 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> These will all be in 1.1.5.  I've probably missed a few.
>
> Please give a snapshot a try and report problems to cygwin@sources.redhat.com .

I understand that snapshots are not supported and are generally not
encouraged for anyone but Cygwin developers, but at times like this
(before a new release) it's good to get as many snapshot users as
possible.  With that in mind, what's the recommended technique for
installing a cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2 snapshot?

It's simple to drop in a snapshot of just cygwin1.dll, without any
Cygwin applications running.  But how do you do that with
cygwin-inst-YYYYMMDD.tar.bz2?  Can Cygwin tar replace cygwin1.dll
without conflict?  We know WinZip doesn't work!

(Of course I could cross my fingers and try it, but I'm looking for a
more general answer to put in the FAQ.  Just because it works for me,
doesn't mean I can conclude that it will work in general.)

Or is there a technique to have setup.exe do this for you?  If not,
could/should it be extended to do so?

Thanks,
David