newbie question: hellowin on Windows NT

Quoß, Clemens clemens.quoss@gzs.de
Wed Oct 25 01:53:00 GMT 2000

Hello,

I'm rather new to writing programs with Cygnus, so
I decided to start with the hellowin example
from C. Petzolds book 'Programming Windows'.

After some amendments to the source it
compiled cleanly. Having compiled with '-mwindows'
I have no problems to start it from the cygwin
bash command line. The windows starts nicely.

But compiling with '-mwindows -mno-cygwin' and
starting hellowin.exe directly from Windows NT explorer,
brings no result. There is a background task in the
task manager named 'hellowin.exe', but no window
is shown.

In Windows 98, it works. So it seems to be a problem
with the Windows NT version and cygwin.

I included the source 'hellowin.c' and the output of
'cygcheck -s -r -v hellowin.exe' after having compiled
with '-mno-cygwin' option.

Your help is very much appreciated.

TIA

Clemens Quoss