Newbie question - how to launch dos/windows programs

Steve Chong schong@cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 02:44:00 GMT 2000

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with this problem...

I'm running cygwin b20 for windows and it works fine. What I'd like to
do is to run latex and dvips from an existing makefile I've got to
generate a postscript file.

I've installed Tex which seems to work fine too when used from a DOS
window.

I've been experimenting with script files to try to execute the
latex.exe. My script file is below:

#!/bin/sh

CMD='//D/Tex/bin/win32/latex.exe'
exec "$CMD" &

I execute this script by typing:

bash-2.0$ sh testcript

but I get the error message:

bash-2.0$ (null):fatal Can't determine where the executable
//D/Tex/bin/win32/latex.exe is.

I've checked, and latex.exe definately resides in the directory
//D/Tex/bin/win32.

I'm able to execute other exes. For example, I can launch Kawa OK using
the
following script:

#!/bin/sh

CMD='//D/kawa3.51/Kawa.exe'
exec "$CMD" &

I've checked out the FAQs and archives but I'm still at a bit of a loss.
If anyone could help me with a solution and perhaps a general
explanation or point me to some archive/info regarding how to launch
exes I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Steve.
begin:vcard
n:Chong;Steve
tel;fax:0161 275 6236
tel;work:0161 275 6145
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Manchester;Department of Computer Science
adr:;;Oxford Road;Manchester;;M13 9PL;UNITED KINGDOM
version:2.1
email;internet:schong@cs.man.ac.uk
title:Reserach Associate
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1488