Invoking MODE.COM crashes cygwin bash!!! (Win95)

Jeffrey Juliano juliano@cs.unc.edu
Sun Sep 17 06:54:00 GMT 2000

--On Saturday, September 16, 2000 6:59 PM -0400 Chris Faylor
<cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Andreas Eibach wrote:
>> Hi there again,
>>
>> you just need to type mode.com and confirm it with return and cygwin
>> bash will crash with throwing an exception.
>
> I type "mode.com" and it gives me lots of info my com, printer, and
> console. There is no confirming with return necessary.

Chris and Andreas,

I just tried this on my win98 laptop.  I got a system popup box saying
something about an illegal operation.  It doesn't look like what I'm used
to seeing when an app segfaults in winNT, but for all I know this may be a
standard window for segfaults in win9x.

I dismissed the window, and my "BASH" app didn't actually die.  It's still
in the task bar, and there's a dead window on the screen that won't redraw
itself or go away.

Double-clicking on the Cygwin icon on my desktop does *not* bring up a new
bash window so that I can try this again or give you cygcheck output.

...OK, I just killed WinOldApp in the "task manager", and now things seem
normal again.  Let's see...strange, when I try to reproduce this by typing
mode.com in a new bash window, I get what looks like the expected output.
The first time I tried this, I had just run a fresh instance of bash while
no other cygwin apps had been running (cygwin1.dll wasn't already loaded).

Anyway, cygcyeck output is attached.

-jeff