Simple question

Matthew Sundling sundlm@cs.rpi.edu
Mon Sep 18 08:36:00 GMT 2000

Sorry for the simple question:

Roughly a year ago, I had installed seemingly two separate cygnus
products both claiming to be cygwin.  One being installed in
c:\cygwin and acting and feeling like an alternative to a regular
'dos prompt' window.  The other was installed under c:\program
files\<blah..> and when executed ran like an xterm box from some
odd xwindow system (window title = cygwin b20.1).

Now I recently installed cygwin (wonderful program) but I cannot
find any way to make my shell act more like an xterm box rather
than a 'dos prompt' window.  And I cannot locate that separate
form of cygwin that seemed more 'windows' based.  Primarily I am
interested in the ability to scroll back through the output
history of the shell.  I really don't care how I can do this, but
I would like to do it.

Is there anyway I can obtain that other 'mystery' proram I had
originally on my machine?  Can I configure cygwin to act more
like an xterm box?  Can I scroll in a regular cygwin window
though the output history?  Am I missing something really simple
here?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Matt Sundling