setup.exe 2.13 not working

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Mon Sep 18 12:48:00 GMT 2000

> I actually found that they had been downloaded but they were in the
> contrib directory (contrib/libpng and contrib/zlib) and not in
> latest.

Right.  zlib and libpng *are* in contrib, not latest.

> If you then go back into chooser it tells you again there is a newer
> version and then will not download after that.  Once removed from
> contrib and latest if it is in both then it will download the file
> again, but chooser still shows it to you as an option for download
> and not as keep.

The chooser's "partial" listing isn't doing "the right thing", it
seems from the feedback I've gotten.  I'll probably change that.  The
question is, if you choose the defaults, does it download/install the
right thing?

Also - if you "download from internet" and then "install from current
directory" you are making setup's job a lot harder.  Just use "install
from internet".

> This is the problem I mentioned I was going to try to dig into further
> and see what I could find.  The other thing unique about zlib and libpng
> is they appear to be the only two in setup.ini that have a current
> version (not designated as such) and a previous version designated with
> [prev].  I haven't gotten deep enough yet to see if this is really a
> factor.

Right.  I'll probably change setup (eventually) to not count [prev]s
in the partial listing.

> While we're sort of on the subject what is the actual purpose/intention
> of the contrib and latest directories.  Actually I understand latest,
> it's contrib I'm confused about.  Being new I wasn't sure why there was
> two (or more?) possible locations?

It used to be that "contrib" meant "not installed by default" but it
really doesn't matter any more now that setup.ini is in charge.