CVS install

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Tue Sep 19 10:47:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:20:48PM -0500, Jeff J Jensen wrote:
>Thank you Chuck and Earnie for the replies.  It is clearer now.
>
>There is lots of info easily found on _using_ CVS, but the simple steps to
>begin I have not found.  Is this missing (an assumption of a certain CVS
>expertise level), or have I been blind to it!?  Can someone point me to the
>CVS setup docs for using the prebuilt binaries in the Cygwin distribution
>(or is it just that simple: set CVSROOT, and do init?  If yes and missing,
>then tell me where/how to add a note and I'll write it up for the next
>beginner-like person...I spent too many hours looking for getting started
>info!)?
>
>An advice question:
>For CVS with Cygwin, where is/are the better places for the CVSROOT
>directory?  Particularly, I am wondering about c:\cvsroot (will it work?)
>or c:\cygwin\cvsroot.

I don't know much about setting up CVS "for cygwin" but I would be very
surprised if it was different from setting up CVS "for UNIX".  The point
of the Cygwin project is to create a UNIX environment on Windows.  That
means that whatever UNIX docs you have access to should be applicable.

So, c:\cygwin is not a good choice for CVSROOT.  Use UNIX paths like
/cvs .  This will eventually resolve to something like c:\cygwin\cvs
but you can ignore that fact.

FYI, the CVS web site is: http://www.cvshome.org/ .

cgf