[patch] Re: odd bash wrapping due to ansi codes

Randall R Schulz rschulz@teknowledge.com
Tue Sep 19 21:23:00 GMT 2000

Chris,

Well, I cannot say that I like the new default prompt, but I'm a
customization freak and tweak everything to my liking, anyway. But
the thing that gets on my nerves after about 45 seconds is the "neon
sign store window" effect of all that hiddeous colorization! I had to
add a few lines to my .vimrc to turn search highlighting and "syntax
coloring" off. I also added some macros to easily switch the
colorization mode on and off when I want a glimpse of the colors to
check for a runaway string.

Anyway, I really wrote to make sure you knew that the BASH behavior
you're discovering is common to all BASH shells, not just Cygwin. I
don't know for a fact, but that behavior might actually originate in
the readline library.

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA