Strange cd/CDPATH behavior

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 13:12:00 GMT 2000

--- Erik Nolte <enolte@campuspipeline.com> wrote:
> > I can successfully `cd c:/temp' from the bash prompt so that itself
> > isn't a problem.  You mention that you have CDPATH set, what is it set to?
> If
> > CDPATH itself contains a ":" character it is used as a list separator, so
> DOS
> > paths can't exist in CDPATH unless the "\" quoting character precedes the
> ":".
>
> I have a CDPATH of UNIX-style directories:
>

> .:/w//src/com/pipeline:/w/:/w//src:/w//docs:/w//src/html:/w//src/com/pipelin
> e/ab
>
> m:/w//src/com/pipeline/ad:/w//src/com/pipeline/addrbk:/w//src/com/pipeline/a
> dmin
>
> :/w//src/com/pipeline/aio:/w//src/com/pipeline/alert:/w//src/com/pipeline/ap
> plic
>     ations:/w//src/com/pipeline/awt:/w//src/com/pipeline/bom
>
> B20.1 must have recognized that w:/ is an absolute path while 1.1.4 doesn't
> think so.  And somehow "." in CDPATH triggers the problem.

You've not really listed w:/ in CDPATH you have /w// which isn't the same as
w:/.

> Try this:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d
>     cd d:/
>     <you should just see the command prompt>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.

> then try:
>
>     export CDPATH=/c:/d:.
>     cd d:/
>     <you should see "d:" and then the command prompt on the next line>

Ok. Tried and I see your results.  I also tried cd /d and I the result is as
expected.

> The question is why does adding "." to CDPATH cause "d:/" to be interpreted
> as a relative path?

Just to eliminate the bash-2.04 vs bash-2.03 criteria, I'm using bash-2.03
while Cygwin now ships with bash-2.04.  I don't have b20.1 to play with it so I
can't see what the difference is.  My guess is that the changes Corinna made
that make Cygwin now interpret a path with a `:' in offset position 1 as an
absolute win32 path has a lot to do with the difference.

This being the case, as Chris has already stated, the only patch worth making
is to bash itself.  Bash needs to be taught that [a-zA-Z]:/ is an absolute
path.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---