G++ guru's please comment - Re: FW: pthread_create problem in Cygwin 1.1.8-2]

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sun Apr 8 08:28:00 GMT 2001

This smells like a threads/exception handling interaction issue of some
sort.

It crashes for me, on i=99 at the same place. It crashes _every time_
for me. Adding a sleep as you did made it crash 8/10 instead of 10/10.
Removing the return 0; from within the try {} stopped it crashing
completely.

Also, printf doesn't appear to be atomic and threadsafe (lines got
interspersed). You might be hitting something there, but I doubt it
(crashing in the wrong place).

some things to test/do:

1) It's possible it's a problem with the thread exiting code, could you
try using a pthread_exit call instead of return and report back.

2) What cygwin1.dll are you using? I'm using a custom build ~= to the
latest snapshot.
2a) Earnie - what are you testing with? (as a control point that doesn't
see the fault).

3) What's the value of ecx when it dies? Mine is
(gdb) info register
eax            0x407004 4222980
ecx            0xc0     192

3a) Earnie - if you have a few minutes, can you put a breakpoint on the
offending instruction, and report back the output o
info registers
info locals
info threads
bt in each thread?