More on Job Control...

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 10:04:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 12:46:46PM -0700, Mark Allan Young wrote:
>I was baffled about the job control issue, having read that it
>did indeed work.  I verified that my CYGWIN environment variable
>was set...and yet, still I couldn't suspend a job.
>
>then I noticed that the bat file I use to start up a cygwin
>shell window was setting the CYGWIN variable to '"tty"', instead
>of just 'tty'.  I changed this and I could suspend a sleep command.
>
>After this revelation, I found a couple of other strange things.
>
>First, if I type:
>
>	sleep 100 &
>
>it sleeps for 100 seconds in the background.
>
>but if I type:
>
>	sleep 100
>	<ctrl-z>
>	fg
>
>it terminates immediately after the fg command.
>it does the same if I put in the background with 'bg'.

Have you checked the email archives on this.  This exact behavior
has been discussed recently.  It works the same way on Cygwin and
Linux.

>Another strange behaviour relates to my emacs setup.
>
>I have emacs aliased to 'emacs.bat' which is in my bin
>directory.
>
>the emacs.bat file starts up a GNU emacs 20.4.1 (i386-*-nt5.0.2195).
>
>If I start this up in the background with '&', when it exits, I get
>a done message.
>
>if I don't use the '&' and then try to suspend it
>with <ctrl-z>, it doesn't suspend.

A .bat file is not a cygwin application.  Cygwin isn't a special magic
program that brings UNIX functionality to everything on your system.
CTRL-Z will only work on Cygwin applications.

cgf