building cygwin.dll instructions

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 19:16:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:36:27AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>Can I suggest that the use of --prefix be documented? I mistakenly
>used --prefix=/usr and trashed my system a month or so ago - I just
>realised I never suggested it be documented. Something along the lines
>of
>
>"Don't use a --prefix that refers to the final destination. Use
>a --prefix like "/usr/src/installcygwin" and from there take the files
>to your actual working directories."

Actually, I have the opposite advice.  *Always* configure with the
correct final destination.  You don't know what will get compiled into
your applications otherwise.

When I am building my applications, I use something like:

configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
          --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/sbin
make
make prefix=/netrel/inst/usr exec_prefix=/netrel/inst/usr \
     sysconfdir=/netrel/inst/etc libdir=/netrel/inst/usr/lib \
     libexecdir=/netrel/inst/usr/sbin install

cgf