Build of Perl Tk Module fails with Cygwin

Paul A. Chernoch paul.chernoch@zeborg.com
Mon Apr 16 21:07:00 GMT 2001

I am trying to build the Tk Perl module for Cygwin. I can find no special
Cygwin readme in the release, so expected clear sailing, but instead was
confronted with these messages from the CPAN module:

   CPAN.pm: Going to build N/NI/NI-S/Tk402.004.tar.gz

/usr/bin/perl is installed in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin okay
Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c
Test Compiling config/tod.c
Test Compiling -DTIMEOFDAY_TZ config/tod.c
TZ gettimeofday()
Cannot find xmkmf
Cannot find -lX11 anywhere at ./myConfig line 284.
Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 14.

I tried the module by itself as well as in Bundle::Tk. That "-X11" switch
sounds like X-Windows to me; do I need an entire X-Windows installation to
use this? Or can it piggy back on Windows like my Activestate Perl Tk does?
Here is hoping that someone has worked with Tk.

   - Paul
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Paul Anton Chernoch
Zeborg, Inc.
500 West Cummings Park
Woburn, MA 01801

t: 781.759.0105
f: 781.935.5090
c: 781.606.7382

http://www.zeborg.com
This message is a personal and confidential communication. If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or use it, and do not
disclose it to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.