How to install (Windows 2000)

Linda K. Shepard lkshepa@sandia.gov
Fri Apr 20 12:58:00 GMT 2001

I used cygwin all of the time on my Windows NT system here at work.
Yesterday, I got a new Windows 2000 PC and can't get my cgywin
capability to work.  I use it to do Unix-like commands (ls, cat, etc.)
on my PC.

My questions are:

1) Will cygwin work on the 2000 OS?
2) How do I install it?  I found a setup.exe but when I run it I seem to
get caught in a loop.  It asks me to choose among
     o Use IE5 Settings
     o Direct Connection
     o Use HTTP/FTP Proxy
   I don't know what to select, so I was desperately using trial and
error.  The next window says that it's downloading mirrors.lst but then
takes me back to that first setup window.  That's the loop I'm talking
about.  I looked all over your web page for step-by-step installation
instructions but can't find them.  I'm sure they are there, I just don't
know where to look.

I hate to give up cygwin but need some direction on getting it back.
Can you help?

Linda Shepard
Sandia National Labs
505-844-5186