Linking Cygwin & MSVC objects / libraries using MSVC linker

Nicholas Peters nickapeters@hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:59:00 GMT 2001

Is it possible to link Cygwin compiled objects and Microsoft Visual C (not
C++) objects using the libcygwin.a and it's associated libraries  and
Microsofts various libraries (MSVCRT, etc).  I would very much like to use
the MSVC linker for this (not ld) but am open to all ideas.  When I tried
to just flat out link (with MSVC linker) I got some errors from libcygwin.a
stating it had undefined external references to data_start, data_end,
bss_start, bss_end.  After reading through some of the mail archives for
this list I decided to throw in some null char declarations for those
references since I'm not using the fork functionality of libcygwin.  I get
two warnings in the link, and the resulting exe crashes.

The warnings are:
libcygwin.a : warning multiple ".idata" sections found with different
attributes.

libcygwin.a : warning __fmode already defined in MSVCRT.LIB second
definition ignored.

When I list libcygwin.a BEFORE MSVCRT in my link command line, the second
warning changes to:

MSVCRT.LIB : warning _atexit already defined in libcygwin.a second
definition ignored.

Either way the the produced executable crashes with "The instruction at
<address> referenced memory at <address>.  The memory could not be "read". "

A message in the archives had a similar problem:

but the author didn't get a reply as far as I can tell, so I thought I'd try
my luck. If you need more info just let me know, any help is appreciated.

                                      Nick Peters