ntsec and sshd question

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Apr 24 23:37:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:22:03PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I just turned on 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty' and set up my file protections to make
> sshd happy (running as a srvany service on win2k sp1).
>
> myname@MACHINENAME ~
> $ ps -aef
>      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
>   system     652       1   0  15:39:34 /usr/sbin/sshd
>   system     800       1  -1  15:39:39 /usr/sbin/sshd
>   myname    1272       1   1  15:41:23 /usr/bin/bash
>   myname    1104    1272   1  15:41:30 /usr/bin/ps
>
> When I rebooted my machine and did a ps, I saw an extra sshd process that I
> did not see before. ssh/sshd appear to work fine. Why is there an extra sshd
> process...is it normal...does anyone else have the same thing happen?

It's normal. It's the parent sshd which has been started by
SRVANY and which has forked the daemon. It's not needed
anymore but for some reason SRVANY blocks that the process
can exit. if you stop the service (`net stop sshd') you
will see that SRVANY and the first sshd process have exited
but the daemon itself remains and is fully funtional.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.