Any resolution to win32.h problem?

Jim Hall James.J.Hall@Sun.COM
Fri Apr 27 10:51:00 GMT 2001

Resend with proper return address....

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Jim Hall wrote:

Hi

I was having a similar problem trying to build a perl module on windows
with cygwin. Did you resolve this using any of the suggestions below?

- symlink from /usr/include/win32api/windows.h win32.h did not work.
- The faq says that cygwin includes it but I don't know where.

here is my error:

jhall ~/src/perlmodsrc/Win32-API-0.20
$ make
gcc -c  -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -DHAS_SBRK_PROTO -fno-strict-aliasing  -DUSEIMPORT
LIB -O2   -DVERSION=\"0.20\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.20\" -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin/CORE  API.c
In file included from API.xs:39:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/cygwin/CORE/perl.h:1746: win32.h: No such file or
directory

make: *** [API.o] Error 1

JIM

Re: libodbccp32.a
To: cygwin at sources dot redhat dot com
Subject: Re: libodbccp32.a
From: "Charles S. Wilson" <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 00:57:30 -0400
CC: cygwin at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
< http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-08/msg00398.html >

Chris Faylor wrote:

> >Exactly right! Sometimes it takes someone else to state the obvious
> >before I see the problem.  Thanks  Danny, Thanks Chris!
>
> I think you mean Chuck, not Chris.

Whatever. 'sokay.

> >The only thing is that this build was looking picked up a reference to
> >win32.h from perl.h. win32.h is not defined on a stock cygwin
configuration,
> >I actually edited perl.h but I guess a symlink to windows.h would be
just as
> >good.

No. perl.h has the following stanza:

#ifdef WIN32
#  include "win32.h"
#endif

That's "win32.h", not <win32.h>.  There's a file in
<perl-src>/win32/win32.h, which is probably copied up to the toplevel
during a win32-native configure. (I'm just guessing here)

The correct fix is probably to replace the #ifdef statement with:

#if defined(WIN32) && !defined(__CYGWIN__)

But the presence of that #include "win32.h" has never cause me any build
trouble; it's odd that it would only cause difficulties when building
DBD::ODBC but not other modules.

> >Should that be standard in cygwin? Should this be an issue for the perl
> >porters? Or is this just another README!
>
> I don't know why perl is expecting win32.h but this is not a standard
windows
> header, AFAIK.  I don't think that cygwin has ever had a win32.h,
either.

--Chuck