Small prog linked with MS "cl.exe" gets "Invalid Argument" in Cygwn, but runs in DOS

Karr, David david.karr@cacheflow.com
Mon Apr 30 08:57:00 GMT 2001

I would appreciate some help understanding (and solving) a problem with a
small C program.  It is being linked with MS "cl.exe", while in the Cygwin
environment.  When I run it in Cygwin, it immediately fails with "Invalid
Argument" BEFORE it gets to "main".  I'm reasonably certain it's before
"main" because I have a printf call at the top of "main".  When I run this
executable in DOS, outside of "bash", it runs fine.

I tried running it with a file I/O monitor running, and it doesn't show
anything interesting, just the executable file being opened, a search for a
PIF file, and then closing the executable file.

What sort of things could I do to diagnose this?  I'm an experienced C/C++
and Java programmer, but all of my C/C++ work has been on Unix.