gcc linking problem - badly installed?

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Aug 14 10:23:00 GMT 2001

At 12:57 PM 8/14/2001, Astrid Burghard wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am new to this list, so please excuse me and
>give me a hint if this topic was treated here
>before.

When you have a question that you think may be something
that has been covered before, its a good idea to check the
FAQ, documentation, and email archives for related information.
I mention this FYI only.

>I tried some simple C and F77 "hello world"
>programmes to get compiled and linked by "gcc"
>and "gcc -c" + "ld".  The .o was created by
>"gcc -c" without error message, but both direct
>executable creation with "gcc" and linking the
>.o by "ld" failed, giving different error
>messages.  The .log I appenden at the bottom of
>the email.  Does anyone have an idea what is
>going wrong?

If ld can't find crt0.o, your Cygwin installation is incorrect.  Please
rerun setup and make sure you install *all* packages and that the
installation completes successfully.  If you do this and still have the
same problem, please send the setup.log file and the results of
cygcheck -s -r -v (if possible) to the list for analysis.