Automake 1.4l released

Raja R Harinath harinath@cs.umn.edu
Tue Aug 14 18:40:00 GMT 2001


Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
[snip]
> As you are not overly familiar with Cygwin, I'm not very familiar with
> automake.  I know that autoconf bends over backwards to accomodate older
> OSes.  

Not really, in the sense you mean.  'autoconf' requires GNU m4 and
perl on the maintainer side -- not really bending over backwards.

It is the generated 'configure' that bends over backwards to
accomodate older/non-traditional OSes.  

> I don't know what automake does.  

'automake' has a similar policy.  The maintainer of a package needs a
reasonable system.  The generated Makefile.in can be used on
older/non-traditiona OSes, as long as the user doesn't invoke any
maintainer rules. 

'make distcheck' is a maintainer rule, since it checks if the
distribution tarball generated is complete.

- hari
-- 
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath@cs.umn.edu
"When all else fails, read the instructions."      -- Cahn's Axiom
"Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing."   -- Roy L Ash

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list