Solved: ftpd stalls when the W2k TCP Loopback adapter is enabled

Troy Noble troy.noble@channelpoint.com
Fri Aug 31 12:54:00 GMT 2001

> Using DHCP does not seem to help in my case.  W2k disables the driver (and
> therefore loses its IP address) when a cable is not connected to the
> ethernet adapter.

You can disable the media sensing feature in W2k if you are
so inclined (read the applicable warnings about mucking with
your registry).
Microsoft's site has an article about it.  Go to MSDN and
search the knowledge base for Q239924 or perhaps this
link won't get garbled in transit:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/9/24.ASP

Solves the problem for "some" adapter/driver combinations.

But in some cases you end up doing ipconfig /release adapatername
followed by ipconfig /renew adaptername to renew your DHCP
lease after you reconnect.

Troy