XP 64 bit : 32 bit emulation : fork problem : Cygwin 1.3.5

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 3 15:09:00 GMT 2001

Tim Prince wrote:

> The most recent success story I have heard, with a modified cygwin1.dll (not
> supported on this list) was with XP Server build 3505.   My last success
> with a Pro build was with build 2446.  These builds have changed continually
> in the details relevant to cygwin, which must be one of the strategies
> employed by Microsoft to discourage use of cygwin.

Maybe I'm begin naive, but I don't think MS gives a rat's #!&# about
cygwin -- certainly not enough to deliberately modify things just to
screw us up.  I mean, c'mon, we're not Lotus...

fork/exec is pretty hard to get "right" -- even when you throw thousands
of code monkeys at the problem.  I'm not surprised that things are
fluid...

--Chuck