dll_list::load_after_fork() blues (was Re: [ python-Bugs-489709 ] Building Fails ...)

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Fri Dec 7 06:54:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Jason Tishler wrote:
>

> >>building 'gdbm' extension
> >>gcc -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DUSE_DL_IMPORT -I. -I/cygdrive/e/Python-2.2b2/./Include -I/usr/local/include -IInclude/ -c /cygdrive/e/Python-2.2b2/Modules/gdbmmodule.c -o build/temp.cygwin-1.3.5-i686-2.2/gdbmmodule.o
> >>e:\buildpy\python.exe: *** unable to remap
> >>C:\cygnus\bin\cygssl.dll to same address as parent -- 0x1A7C0000
> >>      0 [main] python 1292 sync_with_child: child 1108 (0xF0) died before initialization with status code 0x1
> >>  25901 [main] python 1292 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading dlls
> >>error: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >>make: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
> >>

> > The above occurs during Cygwin's fork() when the Cygwin DLL cannot
> > load a DLL to the same address in the child that it had in the parent.
> > I have seen this during Python 2.1.1 regression tests with threads
> > enabled.
>

> Part of the problem may be that cyggdbm.dll was built with
> --auto-image-base.  It was later demonstrated that this can cause
> problems with fork; you're better off just letting ld assign the default
> dllbase, which means that EVERY process will remap the dll at runtime.
> Thus, no hardcoded conflicts.  Downside: *very* slightly delay in
>
> (Did I get that right, robert?)
>
> Anyway, I plan to redo cyggdbm "eventually" without the
> --auto-image-base.  Doing so *may* fix this problem, but I'm not sure...

I didn't get Jason's email.  Odd that.

Anyway, it's more than just gdbm; if I stop that building, then termios
fails in a similar manner; disable that and it's resource.  And so on.

This is really ******* annoying (tm); I'm trying to fix generic Python
bugs and have to scp my changes onto another machine to test them...

Cheers,
M.