env command and case sensitivity

(Jerry Heyman) jerry@dev.tivoli.com
Tue Dec 11 06:55:00 GMT 2001

I've got an user who is complaining that the env.exe
distributed with the commercial version of GNUpro (1.0)
is always showing their environment variables in uppercase.

No, they're not running inside of the GNUpro provided bash -
but from a previous version of bash that we use (problem also
exists in CMD shell).  I've confirmed that env.exe returns
uppercase version of the variable, and that the version of bash
is actually using it as a mixed case.

I'm assuming that the issue has to do with the run-time
environment as stepping through the env.exe with gdb shows that
things are already wrong when the program initially accesses
*envp.

Aside from upgrading GNUpro or using the supplied version of bash,
are there any clues as to why the initial load of *envp is all
set to uppercase??

Been through the faq, google, and the email archive - but either
I've missed it or the problem has not been addressed.

Thanks,

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman   919.224.1442    | IBM SWG/Tivoli Software |"Software is the
Build Infrastructure Architect | 3901 S Miami Blvd       | difference between