gcc -mno-cygwin creates cygwin executables!

a.rburgers a.rburgers@freeler.nl
Tue Dec 11 13:43:00 GMT 2001

Rob Collins wrote:

> > 1) Move the pthread functions from libcygwin.a to a separate library
> > libpthread.a instead of libpthread.a being a symlink to libcygwin.a.
> > That
> > would fix this particular configure problem I think. This already
> > works this way I found for libpng.a and libjpeg.a.

> No, as the pthread functions use cygwin calls that will still link to
> cygwin.

Yes! Since if you use gcc without -mno-cygwin, libcygwin.a is linked in
anyway,
as is the case now with for instance libpng.a and libjpeg.a.

I only want the link to fail when you use gcc -mno-cygwin. It doesn't now
since linking with -lpthread links in all of libcygwin.a

> If you want a mingw pthread library see the pthread-win32 project.

I don't want to force the user to install pthread-win32.
I want this configure script (for fltk btw) to detect correctly whether
threads
are available or not.

> > 2) Put some cygwin specific libraries as libpthread.a in
> /usr/cygwin/lib
> > and add /usr/cygwin/lib to the specs?

> This _might_ do it. Still it requires breaking out the pthread
> functions, for little benefit and greater overhead.

I don't see the problem with this. We are not adding libraries as libpng
and libjpeg to libcygwin either are we?

> Why not add the
> win32-pthread functions somewhere and add that to the -mno-cygwin specs?

You mean adding the win32-pthread functions to the standard cygwin mingw
distribution?
That would be perfect of cause!

Teun