Potential problems with Cygwin GCC and -mno-cygwin switch

Jon Leichter jon@symas.com
Thu Dec 27 18:45:00 GMT 2001

Sorry Chris... just some final words...

Most libraries included with packages install in /usr/local/lib (opposed to
/usr/lib). As for libraries that it may depend upon, as long as my GCC specs
file knows where to find libraries, I don't see a problem.

> > I wonder if anyone else thinks it would be a good idea to relocate
> > Cygwin
>
> I think this may be easier than fixing gcc, but I'm sure that fixing gcc
> is a better long term approach. However as I don't have the time nor
> inclination to fix gcc myself, my opinion is just that.

Not only is relocating easier, but it's the only current solution to this
particular situation. However, I FULLY agree that the CORRECT solution is to
"enhance" gcc, perhaps to have it honor a switch (e.g. -nostdlibdirs) which
will cause it to ignore the hard-coded standard default directories, i.e.
/usr/lib and /lib (which are one and the same in Cygwin).

Since I won't be submitting this proposed patch either, this is all just my
opinion as well...

Jon