How to file descriptors get inherited by exec'd processes?

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 08:11:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:09:45AM -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>Could somebody please point me to the location in the source code where
>file descriptors get inhereted by an exec'd process.  I see in
>"dcrt0.cc" where 'stdio_init()' is called, which sets up the fdtab for
>stdin, stdout, and stderr (only), but I can't seem to find where the
>rest of the opened file descriptors are inherited.  I realize that this
>is a bit off topic for this particular list, but I know the folks who
>know the answer read this list.

They are inherited automatically in cygheap_fixup_in_child().

stdio_init() is only called when a cygwin process is invoked by a
non-cygwin process like a Windows command shell.

cgf