libuser32.a left out of latest Cygwin distro?

soren@wonderstorm.com soren@wonderstorm.com
Tue Feb 6 10:46:00 GMT 2001

On 6 Feb 2001, at 8:32, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> soren@wonderstorm.com wrote:
>
> > Hello Cygwin maintainers,
> >
> > Did libuser32.a inadvetantly get omitted from the very latest Cygwin
> > distro [Win32API or whatever part?] (I just updated using
> > "setup.exe"  this pm, and re-ran a build that formerly had no such
> > dependency troubles; and got a failure from ld.exe that it could not
> > find "-luser32". I confirmed by searching that libuser32.a wasn't
> > present).
>
> What is the output of `gcc -v'?  The library now lives in
> /usr/lib/w32api/ and the specs have been modified to find it there.
> If you've upgraded the w32api without upgrading gcc then you're likely
> to run into this problem.

A canny guess. Well, my gcc is
Reading specs from /bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2-7/specs
gcc version 2.95.2-7 19991024 (cygwin experimental)

I had unexplainable errors twice, partway thru downloading
packages using the `setup.exe' system, and I tried finally to ONLY
update a couple of things. That might well be how it happened -- I
might have skipped gcc but ordered w32api to go thru.

.. shoot! The gcc I just updated using setup placed libuser32.a
back in /usr/lib! I used the franken.de ftp server bec the US server
was unresponsive. What the heck is going on ... musical libs ...
 Now gcc -v sez:
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2-6/specs
gcc version 2.95.2-6 19991024 (cygwin experimental)

It took me back instead of forwards! Grrrrrrr ...

  Thanks .. anyway ...,
     soren andersen