Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directories beginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Feb 6 12:18:00 GMT 2001

At 03:08 PM 2/6/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 02:58:21PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >No, its not Cygwin.  If it were, other tools with this same path would have
> >the same problem.  They don't.  Also note that the problem is with 1
> >backslash:
> >
> >D:\tmp\AshishCode>tar cvf file.tgz d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
> >
> >tar: Cannot add file d: mp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp: No such file or directory
> >tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> >
> >This bug is in tar.
>
>What does cygwin's echo do with this?  I'm not close to a Windows machine right now.
>
>If you type:
>
>c:\>c:\cygwin\bin\echo d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
>
>what is output?
>
>It's possible that cygwin's globbing is not correctly interpreting d:\ as a
>path spec.  It tries to be clever about doing the right thing with dos filespecs
>but it could still be broken.

D:\tmp>d:\usr\bin\echo d:\tmp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp
d:      mp\AshishCode\DeProxyBridgeDependency.cpp

OK, you got me.  It looks like this is a Cygwin issue.  Interesting that
things like cat and ls don't have a problem here...