1.1.8-gcc-2.95.2-6: collect2 never returns (NT-4)

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Wed Feb 7 10:19:00 GMT 2001

At 01:06 PM 2/7/2001, Schnörr, Claudius Dr. wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I used cygwin-1.2.2 for a while without any problems.
>
>I tried several times to update to newer versions, but then every test to
>compile and link my programs failed so far. I didn't report this hoping the
>problem to disappear with newer versions (I was not sure whether this is my
>fault or cygwins, and I continue to be in doubt).
>
>Now I updated with setup.exe to the versions mentioned above.
>% gcc test.c
>ends up with running collect2.exe forever.
>The file test.c:
>void main() {
>     int i = 1;
>     i = i + 1;
>}
>
>collect2 has to be killed manually by the task-manager.
>The executable is built correctly, just collect2 does not finish and is
>consuming all cpu it gets.
>
>With best wishes,
>
>Claudius

Since you're the only one who has reported such troubles (and I assume that
you mean cygwin 1.1.2) and there have been many releases since, I'd have to
surmise that the problem is in your environment.  Since you didn't provide
much information to go on, I'm going to guess that your attempts to update
were not complete, either because you chose to update only certain packages
or because of some network/setup problem that got you only some of the
packages.  I'd recommend trying to update again, using setup.exe.  If you
still have problems, send the output of cygcheck -s -r -v to the list and
someone may be able to help you spot where your problem is.