firewall ports

Paul Garceau pgarceau@qwest.net
Wed Feb 7 18:01:00 GMT 2001

Hi folks,

On 7 Feb 2001, at 19:07, the Illustrious Anon1 Anon2 wrote:

> Are there any plans to port any unix firewall software, like an ipchains or
> ipfwadm, to cygwin?

	Why?  If you're using Windows, you should probably use a
windows based firewall, even though you do have cygwin
installed.  In fact, it doesn't seem to matter much whether
cygwin is installed or not.
	In most cases, especially when dealing with firewalls, it is a
better choice to use the one designed for the OS, otherwise you
could run into some major conflicts between cygwin and the
platform that you are using.  I won't even get into the security
conflict considerations.

> It would be nice to have a free, low maintenance port
> filter (I hate zonealarm)

	Check out eSafe, if it's really important to you.  Just
remember, the firewall maintenance aspect can get much higher
quite quickly depending on what you decide to do with your
installation.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

> Joe