dos/unix utilities

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 05:30:00 GMT 2001

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 03:55:31PM -0600, Matthew Smith wrote:
> >> I have found the utilities extremely useful, in order to emulate
> >processes,
> >> that we run in a Unix environment, under Windows NT. I am running them in
> >> win98 environment and then, when the process is working, transferring them
> >> to NT. I cannot see why there would be any problems. However, I am having
> >> problem with "wc" recognising that certain directories/files exist when
> >> using wildcards for non 8.3 form file names..
> >>
> >> For example:
> >> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm*.*      fails (with a ENOENT error msg)
> >> wc -l \postbox\ctm\ctm040701   works fine however
> >
> >Output of cygcheck -srv would be appreciated.  Also, you neglect to say what
> >environment this is failing under.  Are you trying this command from bash?
> >cmd.exe?  You need to give us more info.
>
> You can't use wildcards with Windows filespecs.

Huh?  I can use wc -l /tmp/st*.* just fine in a COMMAND window.
However, I can't use wc -l \tmp\st*.*.  Oh, I get it now, that's what
you were saying.

> Cygwin is a UNIX emulation, remember?
>
> Try "wc -l /postbox/ctm/ctm*.*".

True, the '\' is what Chris is in reference to.  You must use '/'.

Earnie.

P.S.: Sorry, Chris.  I was confused at first by your answer.  So, I
decided to post anyway.