chmod and ntsec

Malcolm Boekhoff Malcolm.Boekhoff@actfs.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 02:14:00 GMT 2001

Subject: chmod and ntsec

If you can't be bothered to read the 9 page FAQ on ntsec, try this:

bash> cp -p /etc/passwd /etc/passwd0 && mkpasswd -l -d >/etc/passwd
bash> cp -p /etc/group  /etc/group0  && mkgroup  -l -d >/etc/group

The "-l" switch examines your NT musrmgr.exe database.
The "-d" switch must examine the user database on your domain.

I wasted a load of time trying to get ntsec working, too, so now I just use "ntea" in the CYGWIN variable. Apparently this is not a
good idea for FAT disks, but all mine are NTFS so I don't care.