Optimizing away "ReadFile" calls when Make calls stat()

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 10:17:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:06:53PM +0100, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
>>>Chris sent some email about this yesterday.  He's looking at the
>>>possibility of eliminating this problem without changing the API.
>>
>>Nice to see that *someone* is paying attention.
>

>I, for one, is more than just paying attention; I just wondered if it
>was worthless to add some traffic to an already quite long thread.
>
>I' REALLY waiting to see your solution; I myself expose my ideas on how
>to do that, but I trust you to have found a solution a lot better than
>mine :-)
>
>Thanks in advance for the good work,

You're welcome.  I had an idea on how to make this transparent a couple
of days ago and I've been struggling with the concept ever since.

I'm now in the "almost drifting off to sleep but then getting an idea
that proves to be fruitless in the morning but keeps me up all night
anyway" mode.

Yawn.

I'm still optimistic that I can do something, though.  It will require
recompilation of tools like make and bash, etc. but it should still be
ok.

cgf