CygWin under WIN 98SE - login, passwd, group, services

Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Feb 21 00:00:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:38:39PM -0800, Gregg Smith wrote:
> login - #1
> When I connect through telnet or ftp, I am asked for my password - not
> my login. By process of 'keep trying things', I have discovered that any
> non-specific remote connection request (ie: NOT using 'telnet -l
> username') seems to assume that you are trying to log in as the first
> entry in the passwd file. Is there any way to FORCE the login prompt?

I hear that for the first time. telnet and ftp are usually always
asking for the username.

> login - #2
> When I connect as a user listed other than first in the passwd file, it
> processes the correct password entry and sets the appropriate home
> directory, but whoami (as well as the default prompt string) shows up as
> the FIRST user listed in the passwd file, not the userid I logged in
> with. Is this alterable in any way, or a limitation of the lack of
> permissions and ownership in Win98?

I assume that the first entry in the file corresponds with the username
you're using on Windows startup. In 9x/ME, the username is always
generated by a call to the Win32 function GetUserName. So the answer
is yes, it's a limitation of 9x/ME which you only can solve by upgrading
to NT/W2K (or Linux).

> passwd -
> When I attempt to run passwd, I get a shell error saying 'Permission
> denied' and a Win98 error saying 'The PASSWD.EXE file is linked to
> missing export NETAPI32.DLL:NetApiBufferFree.'. I made a copy of the
> .DLL file in the /usr/local/bin path to see if it was simply a matter of
> the file not being found on the PATH, but it had no effect. I have done
> a FULL download of CygWin - is there a requirement outside of the normal
> package, or will passwd not run under Win98?
> (Temporary solution: Manual use of '!!crypt' in vi/passwd)

/bin/passwd doesn't work on 9x/ME. The current stable solution is using
/bin/crypt to generate DES passwords as you do. There speaks nothing
against including the /bin/crypt functionality into /bin/passwd but
seriously - it's on the lower right end of my TODO list and it hasn't
moved from there for months. Feel free to contribute here.

> group -
> Currently, group is a copy of passwd. #1, is it neccessary? #2, is there
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^????
> any purpose to worrying about it under Win98? #3, even if the first two
> answers are 'NO', is there a way to get the groupid to display as a name
> rather than '544' (the default used in the passwd file entries)?

mkgroup should result in a group file containing one line on 9x/ME:

	unknown::544:

so that `id' shows:

	uid=500(<yourname>) gid=544(unknown) groups=544(unknown)

but it doesn't matter.

> services -
> Having seen no examples of the format of a services file, yet seeing
> [...]

You don't have services in 9x/ME at all.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.